Tuesday 20 March 2018

Mary Poppins, the magical nanny

At your exam in June you will be requested to talk about one of the suggested topics and "My favourite book for children by an English writer" is on the list. Speaking about this topic you should demonstrate your knowledge of the classical works of the English literature for children. 
"Marry Poppins" by Pamela L. Travers is a wonderful choice. Have you read this book or maybe watched a film? Which adjectives come to your mind when you think about Mary Poppins' character? Write your answer in the comments.
Created in the early 30s Mary Poppins is still in the public's imagination even though newer fantasies have appeared. In the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony in London, England, multiple Mary Poppinses descended from the roof of the stadium on wires to save children from Lord Voldemort, a character from the Harry Potter books.

Read the extracts from the following article "Mary Poppins and a Biography of Her Creator, P. L. Travers"
- A Magical Nanny

- The First Mary Poppins Book

- The Mary Poppins Series

- The Mary Poppins Movie

Summarize what you have read. You may find useful these tips for writing a summary .

As for the screen versions of "Mary Poppins" you can get the idea of what the original Walt Disney movie was like by watching this trailer:
A new adoptation of the famous story is expected soon:

In case you haven't watched it yet there's a Soviet musical based on this book.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I have watched a film about Marry Poppins. Also I wait for the new film with Emily Blunt in the leading role.
    I think, Marry Poppins is strict, clever, mysterious and fascinating woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm looking forward to the new screen version too :)

      Delete

  2. I like Mary Poppins, a very interesting character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not read the book about Mary Poppins and did not watch the movie. Mary poppins is smart, resourceful, strict and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the Soviet musical about Мery Poppins.I like this movie.I think, Mary Poppins is educated and intelligent woman. She is perfection itself for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a perfect lady in the movie but not in the book. Though that screen version is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I watched the film about Mary Poppins. I think that Natalya Andrejchenko performed her role perfectly.
    I represent Mary an intelligent, strict and caring woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a book about Mary Poppins
    I think, Marry Poppins is strict, clever,
    mysterious woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a book about Mary Poppins. In my opinion, Pamela Travers created the image of an "ideal nanny." Mary Poppins - the unremarkable-looking young woman ("She was thin, with large hands and feet and tiny blue eyes that seemed to auger through you"). It is distinguished by accuracy and fine manners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you are familiar with the book, Angela :)

      Delete
  8. I read the book and I can say that I'm delighted. After reading the book I watching the movie and I can say that I liked the book more..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's never too late to change something in your life and the best thing about this is the heroine of the fairy tale Pamela Travers "Mery Poppins" - the most famous nanny in the world. This book is interesting not only for children. It is an invaluable reminder to every adult that a person creates his own reality and works miracles - or does not create.Depending on your own choice. I watched the film about Mary Poppins. I like Mary Poppins. She is a beautiful, clever and strict woman.

    ReplyDelete

My Favourite Toy - Students' Stories

  Dmytro Kutniy When I was little, my favorite toy was a small yellow car. I got it for my fifth birthday from my parents. The car was small...