Friday 1 January 2016

Christmas associations: Films and Music

Happy New Year!

As we can still feel the Christmas spirit (and we will be able to do it till 7 January in Ukraine) I'd like to tell you about my favourite Christmas movie Love actually.
This British-American comedy (with a perfect cast consisting of Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Colin Firth, Alan Rickman and Keira Knightley, among many others) tells the stories of a handful of people that are all somehow connected to each other, and sums these small bits up to a beautiful tale of love and Christmas.
Although Love Actually is set in the Christmas time and is considered a “Christmas movie” the main theme of the film is love. It is based on the idea that love is all around us - there are different kinds of love, different views on and attitudes towards love
What is worth mentioning is definitely the music. The two large hits (I mean their covers) are closely connected with the plot.

Christmas Is All Around

With the help of his longtime manager Joe, rock and roll legend Billy Mack (Bill Nighy) records a Christmas variation of The Troggs' classic hit "Love Is All Around". Although he thinks the record is terrible, Mack promotes the release in the hope it will become the Christmas number one single
Enjoy the video with lyrics. 



All I Want for Christmas

Mariah's Carey's cover is performed in the culmination of the story as you can see it in the video.

 

So these are my Christmas associations. And what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favourite Toy - Students' Stories

  Dmytro Kutniy When I was little, my favorite toy was a small yellow car. I got it for my fifth birthday from my parents. The car was small...