Sunday 4 November 2018

My Watching Suggestions

I often give my students the advice to listen to the native speakers of English as much as possible. I did it at least twice this week - first when we discussed the formation of listening comprehension skills at the lecture and then during a lively spontanious discussion in class about improving pronunciation. So I wondered if they usually follow it and do as I say having a wide range of possibilities at their hands. And I also thought that one can get lost in the amount of available videos on the Internet and that English learners may need a guide in the world of English-speaking Youtubers.

I personally think that watching vlogs and following British native speakers is a good idea both if you want to improve your English systematically and if your goal is to brush up the language from time to time. You can also learn a lot about the culture and the lifestyle.

As the Halloween vibes are still in the air I chose the videos which can give you the idea what place this traditinal holiday takes in the lives of common British people.

Video 1
Watch how British fashion blogger Emma Hill gets ready for Halloween - she and her husband Simon visit the pumpkin patch to buy pumpkins (see how long the queue is there - they say that queuing is a British tradition :) Pay attention how much the British love their dogs.

Video 2
This one is a tutorial how to make a Halloween pumpkin display. The British like DIY projects when it comes to decorating home for a holiday. Pay attention how Debs pronounces some words with the sound [ʌ] - it's actually [ʊ], this accent is common for the north of England.


I hope you didn't find the suggested videos too difficult. It's OK if you don't understand every word, just try to get a general idea. Let me know in the comments if you want me to post such watching suggestions from time to time.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It is very interesting. We can improve our listening skills with this video and recommendations. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, but at the same time a little unusual to listen to. Thank you for interesting ways to develop our skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems unusual first but then you get used to the way native speakers talk.

      Delete
  4. This is a very atmospheric videos, and I think that watching such videos helps a lot to improve both our hearing and our pronunciation! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a lot of interesting things for a girl. Also, clear vocabulary and good material for the development of auditory perception.😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'm glad to hear that :)More to come!

      Delete

My Favourite Toy - Students' Stories

  Dmytro Kutniy When I was little, my favorite toy was a small yellow car. I got it for my fifth birthday from my parents. The car was small...