Friday 5 April 2019

Focus on the Language (Learn with BBC Learning English)

One of my favourite online English resources is BBC Learning English site and I often recommend it to my students for their self-studying. But the thing is that very few of them actually go there and have a go. So I decided to create a kind of practical step-by-step masterclass for my second-year students based on the resources from BBC Learning English.

Focus on Grammar

Let's start with grammar. We have just learnt the basic verb patterns and we know which verbs are followed by infinitive and which require the use of gerund (see Grammar Reference in case you've forgotten). But there are some that can be followed by either form with a change of meaning. These are stop, regret, remember, forget, go on, try.

Let's take a closer look at stop, regret and go on, remember/forget.

1. Watch the suggested video. You can follow the tapescript if you want (Click "Show transcript")
2. Now read the summary under the video. Translate the examples into your native language to see the difference better.
3. Click  "Do the activity" and answer the questions. If you get the answer incorrect there's a comment why. Read it carefully.

Focus on Vocabulary

Speaking about feelings and emotions we use a lot of adjectives. Some of them get confused such as depressed and depressing (I think you remember our discussion in class). BBC Learning English offers a great lesson on -ing and -ed adjectives in their 6 Minute Vocabulary series (basic).

1. Listen to the audio and note down all the adjectives that you hear. Remember there's a transcript ("Show transcript"). 
2. Then match the adjectives with the following Ukrainian equivalents:
схвильований, хвилюючий, дивовижний, здивований, дратуючий, роздратований, розслабляючий, розслаблений, збентежений, заплутаний.
You can use "Vocabulary points to take away" under the audio.
3. Finally, make up three questions for a quiz using the quiz at the end of the audio as a model.

Have fun

If you are still eager to explore the site and learn more about verb patterns, I suggest you watching Episode 7 of the Grammar Gameshow and doing the tasks. You can also find it on BBC Learning English channel on Youtube.


3 comments:

  1. My questions to the quiz:
    1. This sound is... a) annoyed; b) annoying
    2. I was ... to meet you here. a) surprised; b) surprising
    3. Peter was ... in history class. a) bored; b) boring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariia Dzhulai 22-ПО
      1. This guy ... a)surprising ; b)surprised
      2. I was ... at a presentation book. a) boring; b) bored
      3. I was ... in an English class. a) interesting; b) interested

      Delete

My Favourite Toy - Students' Stories

  Dmytro Kutniy When I was little, my favorite toy was a small yellow car. I got it for my fifth birthday from my parents. The car was small...